Harding at a distance: Surrounded

As I saw the email March 12, 2020, asking students not to come back to campus until further notice, I was in disbelief. At the time, it seemed confusing. Why were such drastic measures being taken when I was just at church the evening before? As I continued reading the email, I saw that Spring Sing was being postponed until on-campus classes resumed. While this was encouraging to see, I knew that no matter what Spring Sing looked like, it wouldn’t be the same. However, I knew the producers were doing everything they could to work it out, and as a Spring Sing director, this provided a beacon of hope for me. 

A few days passed, and I continuously checked the Spring Sing directors Facebook page. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to find out something, whether it was good or bad. Waiting was the hardest part, not knowing whether I needed to be making a checklist of the things to do as soon as I got back to campus. On March 19, 2020, a week after we had gotten the news about postponing on-campus activities, we got the news about Spring Sing being cancelled. I knew what was coming next: online classes for the rest of the semester. 

At first, I was angry. How could this be happening the year that I decided to be Spring Sing director? I had put in a year of work for this show and it seemed like it was so quickly taken away. 

As the news came out to all the students about on-campus classes not resuming, my co-directors and I compiled messages for the participants of our show. It was heartbreaking to type our farewells and gratitude posts so soon, but we all knew it was for the best. Past Spring Sing directors, participants and club members reached out to check on us. While the Harding community couldn’t physically reach their arms out and support us during this time, I felt so surrounded. I started to see that this was a
blessing in disguise. 

While it was hard to grasp at the time, I am so thankful for a university that was proactive in keeping us all safe. I am thankful for professors who were understanding and patient with us as we adjusted to new routines. Most of all, I am thankful for God because he offers hope for something better. While we are uncertain of the day that we will reunite here on Earth, we look forward to the day we will all be together in heaven.

Brianna Allman, April 12

Categories: Uncategorized.