Gratitude

By David B. Burks, president Completing the 2020-21 school year with five commencement ceremonies on the main campus instead of our normal three while handling COVID-19 protocols is just one example of the many ways this University came together during a very difficult year and made things happen. The joy was evident, and I am very thankful we were able to celebrate together. This is just one of m ...

Read More

Physical Therapy

Rewarding. Relationships. Worthwhile. By Jantzen Haley | Photography by Jeff Montgomery Harding’s physical therapy program sat its first class in 2011 and for the past 10 years has trained students to be leaders and innovators in physical therapy, providing their communities and the profession with Christian service. The eight-semester program seats a cohort of around 35 students each fall. While year one focuses on didactic classroom instruction, and year two combines classroom teaching with real-world experience, the final year of Harding’s physical therapy program is devoted completely to clinical rotations. At the time of this writing, these three students are concluding their final clin ...

Helping people understand who they are

Engineering and Honors College faculty fellow wins National Science Foundation award for research By Jim Miller | Photography by Jeff Montgomery At age 4, Dr. James Huff, associate professor of engineering and Honors College faculty fellow, was diagnosed with mild cerebral palsy. The motor disability played a significant role in his youth. He was reminded of his athletic limitations. He was bullied. He felt singled out and isolated from others. “For the first 12 years of my life, that was a very visible part of who I was,” Huff said. “There were a lot of ways my mild cerebral palsy showed up, and I spent much of my childhood being on the outside. Those experiences helped me to ...

No roots, no limits

Utilizing ingenuity and talent, Caleb Brackney creates the Roamer Bus By Megan Stroud | Photography by Alexis Henderson | Logo by Caleb Brackney Inspired by what he learned in the interior design program at Harding, Caleb Brackney (’18) converted a school bus into his own tiny home for only $10,000, utilizing space planning and repurposing unusual materials to create a viral result. Brackney came to Harding to study interior design as preparation for the dual master’s degrees he is currently pursuing at the University of Tennessee — a Master of Architecture and a Master of Landscape Architecture.  “Harding grounded me, taught me fundamental skills and ideas, and introduced me to a ...

The elephant in the room

By Tom Buterbaugh | Photography by Jeff Montgomery While returning from a quick road trip to Laurel, Mississippi, on March 27, my wife, daughter and I got off the Marion exit on I-55 to head west on 64 to Searcy and needed to fill up the CRV with gas. As I filled the tank, I began debating a fill-up for myself with a shake from the nearby Shake Shack, and my daughter said, “What would Dr. Ganus (’43) want you to do?” Of course, I got the shake! When you walk into the lobby at Tacker’s Shake Shack in Marion, Arkansas, it feels like a little piece of Harding is there with you. Two Harding Bison flags provided by Morris Seawel (’80) greet you, and any alumni are invited to join the hundreds of ...

Moving on up

Dr. James Berry, director of assessment and testing 2004 Lubbock Christian graduate  M.M. from ...

Heard in Chapel

Spring 2021 Jan. 21 “All of us at some point in this last year have been overwhelmed, but those time ...

By the numbers

2020-21 Accolades No. 1  Best Faith-Based College or University in Arkansas by PLEXUSS  Best Va ...

Everyday Student

Sophomore biomedical engineering student Gabriella fields promotes autism awareness on campus WHY HA ...

Newsmakers

ACUE Certificates Dr. Scott Adair, Megan Adams, Amy Baker, Dr. Nick Boone, Dr. Josh Brown, Dr. James ...

Getting back to normal

The magazine staff went to one of our assistant deans, Chad Joice, to find out his perspective on st ...

Sports by the numbers

.403 Hitting percentage of David Butterfield, the 11th Bison baseball player to hit over .400 for a season and the first since Jason Nappi hit .413 in 2010. 19.2 Career scoring average of two-time hon ...

Read More

Vaulting to the top

By Scott Goode, assistant athletic director for sports information Freshman pole-vaulter Dorian Chaigneau (pronounced SHIN-yo) describes his arrival on Harding’s campus as “eyes blind.” Chaigneau is a ...

Read More

It’s a most wonderful time of the year

By Allen Black, retiring dean of Harding School of Theology By the time you read this, Harding School of Theology’s 63rd annual commencement is a thing of the past.  Commencement is one of my favorite times of the year. I know that according to the song, “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” is in December. However, May is an exciting and energizing time for HST faculty and staff — not to men ...

Read More