Viewpoint: A culture of community

By Bruce D. McLarty, president What a year! Who would have dreamed before 2020 began we would be telling students not to return after spring break, planning diligently for their return this fall, turning Kendall Hall into an isolation dorm and the Heritage Inn into quarantine headquarters, having our fall planning sessions virtually, and that I would have a favorite mask given to me by men’s baske ...

Read More

1M lives touched

The physician assistant studies program serves its 1 millionth patient By Megan Stroud | Photography by Jeff Montgomery Since Dr. Michael Murphy founded the program, the first in the state of Arkansas, the physician assistant studies program has reached 1 million patients through the work of more than 400 students.  Mary Madill, director of the program, was a student in the program’s first class in 2005 and took over the role of director from Murphy who retired in April 2020. “[Murphy] has been watching out for this milestone for so long, and I think part of that is because it represented, within the program, how far we have come in a state where very little was initially known about PAs pri ...

Striving toward more diversity on campus

By Jessica Berry | Photography by Jeff Montgomery If I had to pick the least favorite year of my life, I would probably pick 2020. If I had to pick the best year — so far — of my life, in the same breath, I would still pick 2020. This year has helped me grow in so many areas. I also have seen other things grow during this year including my employer: Harding University. The current world pandemic brought into focus several ongoing challenges in our country and University, specifically the epidemic of racism and racial division in the U.S. When I came to Harding as a freshman in 2002, I always had in the back of my mind, “How can I increase diversity at this wonderful, Christian, yet predomina ...

Harding 50 years ago

By Raymond Kelly, president of the class of 1970 There’s a saying that goes something like this: the days and weeks sometimes seem to drag by, but the years fly by. My classmates and I can attest to the latter part of that saying. Fifty years has certainly flown by! You know you’re getting old when you see the names of personal friends, coaches and teachers on the buildings and facilities around campus today.  It was a milestone year for the Harding class of ’70. We all had our graduation from Harding as a major event in our lives. That year also marked many other milestones — not only graduation but first jobs, graduate schools, engagements, weddings and military service.  The tow ...

Meaningful Impact: Alumni Awards 2020

By Jantzen Haley Homecoming each year provides an opportunity to reflect on the many alumni who have been shaped and changed by their time at the University. While this year’s Homecoming was unlike any other — alumni unable to gather on the campus of their alma mater  — the impact of their lives and influence on the Harding community is no less important. Each year, the University chooses exemplary representatives from more than 40,000 deserving alumni to honor for their achievements. The following have been selected based on their work and accomplishments, earning the respect of those around them while serving God, family and community. Distinguished Alumni Devoting their life to the p ...

Newsmakers

Advancement Jeff Mills was named senior advancement officer July 31.  Candice Moore was appoint ...

Pandemic perspective

Because of his research expertise in pandemics, Harding magazine asked Associate Professor of Histor ...

Preaching was his passion

Jimmy Allen | 1930-2020 By Jerry Jones, Bible department chairman 1974-83 The trajectory of Jimmy Al ...

Degree programs expanding

The University has increased its undergraduate and graduate school offerings in Fall 2020. Fifteen n ...

Sports by the numbers

11,220  Total square feet of the Hatcher indoor facility. 5  Number of rooms plus two restrooms  6  Number of lifting stations in the weight room 148-by-60  Size of playing ar ...

Read More

Honored now, awarded later

By Scott Goode, assistant athletic director for sports information In January of 2020, former Harding athletic director Greg Harnden learned that NCAA Division II Athletic Directors Association select ...

Read More

End note: Just give it a chance

By Andrew M. Braxter, director of church outreach Growing up, I was a very picky kid, and honestly, I am a very picky adult — I hate trying new things. I’m a creature of habit, and normally when I find something I like, I stick with it. My father would tell me that I would never know the difference between what I liked and what I disliked if I never gave anything a chance. With new things I was sk ...

Read More