Clinical Practicum Highlight- Dreamplex

Jessica Neubauer shares about her Summer 2021 externship experience:

“This summer I was assigned to a private practice- Central Florida Dreamplex in Clermont, FL. My caseload consisted of children with severe disabilities that included cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury, fetal alcohol syndrome, autism spectrum disorder, feeding disorders, many with communication devices, etc. I also had the opportunity to work with home health clients which, surprisingly, was one of my favorite experiences. I had a few teletherapy clients as well. My day typically started at 8:30 am at the facility but ended at different times each day. The latest I usually ended my day was around 6:15 pm twice a week due to traveling to homes. Something I admire about Dreamplex is its interprofessional communication. After a majority of my sessions, I usually brought my client to a physical or occupational therapist (or they would bring me a client) and we would discuss how the child performed, anything new noticed, what to expect behavior-wise during the session, etc. Each professional made me feel comfortable and confident discussing my clients. Although previous classes had taught me the basics of many disorders, I felt like I knew very little going into offsite. It wasn’t until working hands-on with children with these disorders that I realized how much I knew and had learned from previous classes. I was able to take that knowledge and apply it to treatment with my clients while also learning/utilizing new information from my placement that I hadn’t learned in classes. I am grateful for the experiences I had working with incredible clients, their families, and all of Dreamplex. No day was exactly the same and it was challenging at times, but all of the children and support I had from my coworkers helped me become a more knowledgeable and effective therapist.”

Thank you for sharing, Jessica!

This entry was posted in Clinical Highlights. Bookmark the permalink.