Clinical Practicum Highlight- Pediatric Complex Care of Arkansas

Mary Barber shares about her Summer 2021 externship experience:

“This summer, I completed my offsite practicum at Pediatric Complex Care of Arkansas. My caseload consisted of residents ages 2-21 that have complex developmental and medical needs. A typical day might consist of starting out in one of the classrooms with a group language stimulation activity like bingo, bowling, or an interactive story. I would also provide individual therapy targeting resident specific goal. The morning time was usually the best time to work on skills using the Eye Gaze system. At lunch I would provide therapeutic feeds to residents in Central Park. After lunch, I would go to resident’s bedrooms providing therapy while they had down time in their beds. The last two hours of the day were spent back in the classrooms, providing therapy, and finishing up documentation. Our pediatric feeding and dysphagia course prepared me for this clinical practicum, and I felt confident in my ability to discuss feeding and swallowing with my supervisors and occupational therapists after completing these courses.”

Thank you for sharing, Mary!

This entry was posted in Clinical Highlights. Bookmark the permalink.