Summer Stampede begins Thursday

Photo by Ashel Parsons.

Photo by Ashel Parsons.

Summer Stampede, an event that Harding University organizes for incoming freshmen, will be held on June 11-12 and July 9-10. At this event students can meet professors, attend orientation sessions, learn about international programs, create a class schedule for the fall, update housing information, preview campus life, and meet new friends.

Ashel Parsons, international programs administrator, said she believes that Summer Stampede is an important time for incoming students to learn in-depth knowledge of the offered study abroad programs.

“We ask students and faculty who have attended our programs in the past to come talk with incoming students during our Thursday night breakout session,” Parsons said. “We set up program stations in the library so that students and parents can go around to all of our programs and talk with people that have been through the experience of studying abroad.”

At the event, Parsons will be speaking about her time abroad, taking pictures for social media, and making sure everything runs smoothly.

“HUG was one of the best decisions of my college career,” Parsons said. “I really enjoy seeing students come in that have no knowledge of our programs and leave with a huge smile on their face because they found a program that will be just right for them.”

I remember Summer Stampede my freshman year as a whirlwind of nervousness, excitement and adventure. I drove an hour from my hometown of Little Rock to Harding’s campus in June 2013 with the windows rolled down to compensate for the lack of air conditioning.

When I arrived, I was directed to take my Harding ID photo where I was captured with hair in every direction and a face as red as a tomato.

Nothing could bring my excitement down, though, because I was ready to make lifelong friends and begin my college career.

Adventure struck when I noticed a section devoted to international programs. One booth in particular sparked my interest. Harding University in Australasia (HUA) had an outgoing, friendly girl ready to talk about her experiences with her semester abroad.

She put everything in real terms for me and shared how it changed her life. After having my own overseas adventure Fall 2014, I cannot wait to do the same at the international programs’ Summer Stampede sessions, which will be held on June 11 and July 9 from 6:45-9 p.m. in the Brackett Library. I am excited to spread the interest to incoming freshmen looking for thrilling new ways to travel and earn college credit at the same time.

Erin Hanson, public relations intern

Tags:

1. R.Hanson’s avatar

Thanks for the article. Very inviting and well written. Look forward to reading more in the future.