Aug. 24, 2022 | Presidential Inauguration |
Harding University will celebrate the inauguration of Dr. Michael D. Williams, the University’s sixth president, at 9 a.m. Friday, Sept. 16. Dr. Robert C. Walker, chairman of Harding’s board of trustees, announced this selection on Oct. 27, 2021. Williams assumed the presidency on June 1, 2022, receiving the baton of leadership from Dr. David B. Burks.
Williams’ inauguration will be a historic event as the community gathers with alumni and friends to celebrate the beginning of Williams’ presidency and the rich heritage of the University.
The inauguration will be the culmination of a series of events celebrating the beginning of Dr. Williams’ tenure.
Thursday, Sept. 15
- 6:00 a.m. — Legacy Relay from the original Harding College campus in Morrilton, Arkansas, to the current Harding University campus in Searcy. The Extra Mile, the last leg of the relay, will begin on campus at 4:30 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 16
- 7:30 a.m. — Prayer Breakfast in Cone Chapel
- 9 a.m. — Inauguration Celebration in Benson Auditorium
- 10:30 a.m. — Coffee Reception with President Mike and Lisa Williams in C.L. Kay Plaza, in front of Benson Auditorium
- 2-4 p.m. — Celebrations with Academic Colleges
Williams earned a Bachelor of Business Administration from Harding in 1985 and later returned to earn his Master of Business Administration. He earned his Doctor of Education from the University of Pennsylvania. He began serving on Harding’s admissions staff in 1987, was named director of admissions services in 1991 and was appointed vice president of advancement in 2003. Williams served as the president of Faulkner University from 2015-2022.
Harding University is a private Christian, liberal arts university located in Searcy, Arkansas. Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, it is the largest private university in the state. Harding’s student body represents students from across the U.S. and more than 50 nations and territories. The University offers more than 110 undergraduate majors; 14 preprofessional programs; more than 40 graduate and professional programs; as well as numerous study abroad opportunities including locations in Australasia, Peru, England, Greece, Italy and Zambia. For more information, visit harding.edu.